Contact Us

Get in touch with us today. Our experienced team are on hand to answer any questions you may have on your safe storage requirements.

Call us on:
061 225005

  Download Catalogue PDF [128mb] »

Contact us

Topic 1: General

Why do I need spillage retention/Bunding?
You need spillage control or bunding in order to capture and retain any spilled hazardous chemicals, which might otherwise cause harm to personnel, or environmental pollution if they enter storm water drains and enter the groundwater or streams and rivers. Any potential spillage will result in costly clean up charges, penalties from local authorities, negative publicity and the risk of injury to humans.
Do I need to separate or segregate my different chemicals?
Yes, non compatible chemicals should not be stored together and should not share the same bund, if there is a risk of a violent reaction when they come into contact with each other. Refer to the material safety data sheets(MSDS) or consult with your chemical supplier for advice.Read More
Is ventilation required?
Yes, your chemical store should be ventilated to prevent accumulation of harmful vapours. Flammable vapours are heavier than air and settle at floor level, so if you are storing flammable chemicals, ventilation must be provided at floor level also. If personnel will be in the store for long periods, or will be decanting in the store, forced(electrical) ventilation should be fitted. Read More
Is temperature control possible?
Yes, if your chemicals are sensitive to freezing or very high temperatures, you should consider having frost protection or full temperature control in your chemical store.
How secure are the chemical stores?
We manufacture two types of chemical stores: Our standard 'clad' chemical store is all steel construction with pad lockable doors. This has profiled metal walls which a determined thief with powder tools could possibly break into. The clad stores are suitable for location on secure / fenced sites. Our 'anti-vandal' chemical stores are manufactured from heavy duty steel plate which is fully welded and therefore difficult to penetrate. They are fitted with anti-tamper pad lock boxes to secure the padlocks. We would recommend the anti-vandal stores for non secure/unfenced sites. Our flammable ';walk-in' stores have fire doors with high security key operated locks.

Topic 2: Bunds

What is a bund?
A bund is basically a large tray into which you sit your containers of chemicals, so that if they leak, the spilled chemical is captured and retained in the bund. The bund should capture a leak which might otherwise go unnoticed.
What size/capacity does my bund need to be?
Your bund should be 110% of the capacity of the largest container you are storing i.e. for a 1000 litre IBC tank you bund must be a minimum of 1100 litres. If you are storing multiple containers, your bund capacity must be either 110% of the capacity of the largest container you are storing, or 25% of the total combined volume of the containers you are storing – whichever is the largest figure. The bunds on our Safety Storage Systems chemical stores exceed these bund capacity guidelines.
Can I have an outlet on the bund?
No, it is not recommended that outlets be fitted to bunds as it increases the risk of accidental spillage through either outlets being left opened or becoming damaged.
Should my bunds be tested?
Yes, all bunds should be tested on a regular basis to ensure that they will retain spilled chemicals. All our bunds are tested during manufacture and bund test certificates are available.

Topic 3: Flammable Storage

Can I store Flammable chemicals indoors?
Yes, you can store flammable chemicals indoors, but you must keep the volume stored to a minimum – no more than 50 litres or enough for one production shift.
How do I store flammable chemicals indoors?
Flammable chemicals stored indoors must be stored in an approved fire resisting cabinet(minimum ½ hour fire resisting). Small volumes can be stored on workbenches in approved safety cans with flame arrestors.
If I am storing Flammable Chemicals outdoors, do I need a fire protected flammables store?
Yes, if the proposed location of your Store is deemed to be un safe, i.e. close to an Ignition source, Boundary, Occupied Building, Process Unit or Flammable Liquid Tank.(see table)

Quantity Stored(litres) Min. Seperation Distance
Up to 1000
1000 – 100,000 4m
100,000 7.5m
Ref: HSE UK Guidance document HS(G)51
What are the ventilation requirements?
Flammable vapours are heavier than air and settle at floor level, so ventilation must be provided at floor level also. A minimum of 10 air changes per hour is required. If personnel will be in the store for long periods, or will be decanting in the store, forced(electrical-atex approved) ventilation should be fitted.
Can I fit electrical equipment in my flammables store?
Yes you can install electrical equipment in your flammables store but it must be atex approved for use in flammable atmospheres.
What else do I need to consider?
Yes, if you will be pouring or mixing flammable chemicals in the flammables store, there will be a risk of ignition of the flammable vapours by static discharge. Flammable liquids should be poured in a slow controlled manner and the containers should be 'bonded/grounded' by connecting them to each other and to ground/earth with Anti-static grounding cables.

Topic 4: Compressed Gas Cylinder Storage

What do I need to consider when storing Gas Cylinders?
The following points should be addressed when storing compressed gas cylinders.
  • Cylinders should be stored upright in a well ventilated area.
  • Secure cylinders with safety chains.
  • Do not use the store for other materials e.g. oils, paints, greases etc.
  • Separate Toxic and corrosive gases from all other gases. Refer to Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for guidance.
  • Provide some degree of weather protection for fittings.
  • Locate the cylinder store away from sources of ignition.
  • Ensure floor is level and free draining.
  • Segregate cylinders according to Gas type. Use a 3 metre segregation distance or a Firewall to separate Fuel gases from other gases.
  • Segregate full and empty cylinders.
  • Identify the different gas types with signs.
  • Consider access to store by Emergency services.

Need more information or ready to order?

How to order

Our Chemical Stores are Available For Hire

Hire Equipment